A Travellerspoint blog

Auckland, New Zealand - Day 56

Welcome to New Zealand

21 °C

I woke up around 2am New Zealand time, which meant I'd had about 6-7 hours sleep. Not bad in economy! Andrew was already awake, he hadn't slept much due to his height making him uncomfortable, and told me we were only two hours from landing, when actually we were three. Annoying as I couldn't have slept more, but I got to watch Silver Linings Playbook and have breakfast.

We landed at around 5am, and I have never been through so many check points or have been asked so many questions at an airport. I guess we had just come in from South America though. Once we jumped through all the hurdles, we had a lovely welcome from a Maori carved gateway, a Tomokanga, and welcoming message that was playing, which was soothing - if a little surreal sounding - at this time in the morning.

It was still dark outside when we got our bags so we decided to stay in the airport, as we didn't have a place to check into until 2pm anyway. We used the wifi, picked up and read every brochure about New Zealand going, and had another breakfast (we were tired, hungry and I'd started to feel dizzy!), then left around 9am once it was light.

Getting into Auckland was easy, we got a bus to Britomart - the driver had a microphone and wasn't shy, he must have thought he was a city guide - and our hostel, City Travellers Auckland, was a short walk from there. Luckily we were able to get into our room at 11am, it was a big long room with its own kitchenette and bathroom, but it was hot and stuffy and didn't smell too great. We showered and then went for lunch down the road in this market style place that had cheap Chinese, Indian and Thai food. It was really good, the naan tasted like naan and the curry was spicy!

We went for a walk around the city, looking at the shops, picking up maps and leaflets for the rest of the trip. The temperature is a nice 21 degrees, but it doesn't feel it - we've had wind, sunshine and rain all in one afternoon. We went for a coffee just to try and keep awake! I keep feeling dizzy and lightheaded the entire time, especially when we were walking, which I put down to tiredness.

Back at the hostel we had something light to eat, and then tried with all our might to try and stay awake. It was 6.30pm and my eyes were closing! Lucky we did stay up though, as we put the TV to help keep us awake and discovered you can just about say anything you want on television here. I think the show might have been called Seven Sharp, with three presenters/hosts, one female who said something along the lines of 'in some places, they'd call you a pussy'! We managed to stay awake til 8.30pm.

Posted by staceywaugh 05:42 Archived in New Zealand Tagged hostels airports maori

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.